CALIFORNIA YOUTH ADVOCACY DAYS
MAY 3-4, 2020 | SACRAMENTO, CA
What is Youth Advocacy Days?
Youth Advocacy Days is an exciting two-day program offering delegates the opportunity to advocate at the local and state level on issues affecting their communities. During the conference, Youth Advocates will participate in trainings and workshops to prepare them for a day of meetings with elected officials. This program will help our Youth Advocates learn more about local and national policymaking, Y-USA advocacy efforts, public policy career tracks and experience first hand a working day in the State Capitol.
During Youth Advocacy Days, participants will:
- Identify champions of their issue
- Learn how to write issue briefs and effectively advocate for their issues
- Learn from legislators and thought leaders about different issues impacting our communities and how they can make a difference
- Attend a Youth Empowerment Breakfast with Elected officials & business leaders
- Visit one-on-one with California legislators and their staff at the State Capitol
- Each participant will receive a Youth Advocacy Tool-Kit to help them create change in their community
- Connect with Youth Advocates from across the state
Important Dates & Deadlines
- Applications for Advocacy Days due
- Interviews for Advocacy Days (if you are a current delegate in our Model Legislature & Court program)
- Financial Aid Application Due for Approved Participants
- Financial Aid Notification Sent to Families
- Assignment 1: Legislator Profiles Due
- Assignment 2: Issue Brief Due
- Mandatory Training Call/Webinar
- Assignment 3: Emails to Legislators Due
- Assignment 4: Action Plan Due
- Training Day at the Hyatt Hotel in Sacramento
- Youth Empowerment Breakfast
- Advocacy Days at the State Capitol
REGISTRATION & FEES
The participation fee is $200 and includes: All Sessions - Lodging in Sacramento - Three Meals - Conference Gift
Registration and fees are due March 26th.
Delegates are responsible for providing their own travel to and from Sacramento for the conference. California YMCA Youth & Government will provide a shuttle from Sacramento International Airport (SMF) and from the Sacramento Valley Train Station.
If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact Adam LaBrie at email@example.com.