California YMCA Youth & Government is celebrating its 72nd year serving youth from across the state. We are proud of our history and excited about our future. Here are the facts.
About the Program
Mission: Build values-based leadership and civic engagement in California’s youth
Service Area: State of California
Participating YMCA’s/Schools: 98
Employed Staff: 14
Volunteer Program Staff: 148
Volunteer Delegation Staff: 475
- California YMCA Youth & Government is in its 72nd program year, having served over 100,000 youth participants.
- California YMCA Youth & Government could not provide outstanding educational and social experiences for more than 4,500 youth each year without its force of 600 volunteers who contribute thousands of hours to ensure the success of our programs.
- California YMCA Youth & Government was honored by the White House in 2013 as a Champion of Change.
- Last Year California YMCA Youth & Government awarded over $260,000 in scholarship funding to participating student delegates.
- 88% of Youth & Government alumni over the age of 25 have received a bachelor's degree of higher.
- Youth & Government alumni are 33% more likely to register to vote.
- Over 3,300 high school students participate in the Model Legislature & Court program.
- Over 800 middle school students participate in the Model United Nations program.
- 300 high school students participate in the Spring Conference.
- 250 volunteers and YMCA staff attend the Advisor Development conference.
- 25 youth attend the Conference on National Affairs (CONA).
- 30 youth attend the National Judicial Conference (NJC).